Professional Visas / H1B, L Visas

Visas for International Managers & Executives

As an international manager or executive, it is important to receive specialized assistance as you pursue a professional visa on behalf of the individual you are sponsoring. We have more than four decades of legal experience representing clients across the globe. Our seasoned business immigration lawyers strive to create solutions that are specifically tailored to our clients’ needs. We would be more than honored to use this personalized approach to help you obtain an H-1B or L-1 visa for the growth of your company.

Understanding an H-1B Visa

The purpose of an H-1B nonimmigrant visa under the Immigration and Nationality Act allows employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. The qualifications include theoretical and practical application of a highly specialized knowledge within a field of human endeavor.

Eligible Specialty Categories


How Long Can An Employee Stay With H-1B Visa?

An employee may be eligible to stay in the U.S. for up to six years maximum on an H-1B visa. To get this maximum, the initial visa must be approved for three years, which then makes the employee eligible for an additional three-year extension. However, if an employee is spending less than six months each year in the U.S. with this visa, the six-year limit is not applicable.

Can H-1B Visa Be Sped Up?

In some situations, you may be able to speed up this process. For example, if your petition has been pending for more than 30 days past the posted processing times, you (as the employer) or your attorney may contact the National Customer Service Center (number listed on the receipt notice) to request adjudication. Another option you have for speeding up the process would be to pay an additional fee when filing and submit Form I-907. You can do this with the original filing or while the petition is still pending. By doing this, you will be requesting Premium Processing.


Your petition may be approved or denied, or the USCIS may request additional information within 15 days. If more evidence is needed, you face an additional 15 days for processing approval.

L-Visas For Overseas Companies

International managers and executives can use the L-1 visa to relocate a foreign qualified employee to the United States.


The qualified employee will need to have worked for one of the following for a minimum of one year out of the last three previous years:


  • Subsidiary of the company


  • Parent of the company


  • Affiliate of the company


  • Branch office of the company


This visa may be used for small or start-up companies looking to expand their business to the United States, as well as for global multi-nationals.